MAEBASHI CONVENTION & VISITORS BUREAU
Top > Tourist spots > Maebashi Koen (Maebashi Park)
Tourist spots

Maebashi Koen (Maebashi Park)

Address:
3-14-1 Otemachi, Maebashi, Gunma 371-0026 Japan

Parking: Available

Maebashi Koen (Maebashi Park), opened in 1905, is the oldest park in the city. It is famous for a pond, which is in the geographical shape of Gunma Prefecture, and for the cherry trees, which were planted at the former site of Maebashi Castle. At an area called “Suijo Stage” (Water Stage), there is a big fountain that shoots up 10 meters high in the air. Some areas are well organized so that children can play with water. This picturesque park is a great place for adults and children to take a break.

Hours

Open 24 hours
Admission Fee Free
Diredtions

By Train and Bus: Get off the JR train at Maebashi Station and take a bus to Maebashi Koen (Maebashi Park).

By Car: The park is located about 15 minutes from Maebashi Exit off the Kannetsu Expressway. After the expressway, take Route 17 toward Maebashi city.

What to See in the Park

Cherry Blossoms

About two hundred cherry trees are planted at the former site of Maebashi Castle. In the spring, the cherry blossoms here are some of the best in Gunma Prefecture.

 


Illuminated Fountain

The fountain is illuminated at night, which gives it an enchanted feeling.

 


Rinkokaku

The Rinkokaku structure consists of the three sections; the main building is sukiya-style used for tea-ceremony, the annex has the shoin-style, which was first used in the 16th century as Japanese residential architecture, and the tea-ceremony room that has the iriomoya-style with the characteristic form of the roof. The main building was constructed as a royal guesthouse, and Meiji Emperor and the royal family stayed here when they visited Gunma. The annex was also built as the guesthouse in 1910 and has a big hall with a stage.


Lunar Park

This park opened in 1954 as an amusement park. Among the rides and attractions, the rocking horses are historically important as the first model made by Namco, a world famous toy company now.

Address: 16-3-3 Otemachi, Maebashi, Gunma
Hours: 
9:30 to 17:0o from March to October.
10:00 to 16:00 from November to February.
 9:30 to 18:00 during summer vacation usually from July 20th to August 31st.
Closed on Tuesdays. If a holiday falls on Tuesday, it is open but closed on the next day.
Admission Fee:
10 yen for each attraction, 50 yen for bigger attractions.
500 yen for a package of 11 tickets.